Thursday 23 April 2009

Home



By the end of day seven I was very content. I'd pushed on for about 25 miles having to stop quite a few times to relieve myself of a worsening tummy bug (sorry if that's too graphic). Also, my girlfriend Jo was coming to walk a section of the way the next day so I had that to look forward to. Nearing my scheduled stop I caught sight of a stag while walking on the road. I'd naturally seen a alot of deer but this guy was particularly regal, standing on the mound in the centre, surveying his dominion with a clear sky behind. Hopefully you can see him, the picture comes up very large if you click on it. Then a bit further on and up a hill I looked back West to see the sun going down, more content still.


In the morning I met up with Jo at Tyndrum and we walked a good 15 miles in the afternoon. We got soaked in the incessant rain so easily found an excuse to indulge in a meal and stay at the Drover's Inn in Inverarnan. Here I am taking a break on the road to Crianlarich.






The next day, my ninth of the walk, I prepared for the worst with all the wet weather gear I had and my pessimistic predictions were not off the mark. Jo got the bus back home as I set off on what I hoped was the penultimate day. Here's a view of Loch Lomond from the North, the rain kept falling and the sky didn't get much brighter than that but it wasn't enough to dampen anyone's spirits. Another great aspect of walking the West Highland Way is meeting fellow walkers. They're a surprisingly mixed bunch and all are very cheery and encouraging. Most people travelling North do the Way in similar sections and as such get to know other walkers and have a bit of fun. For me going South, I only really talked to people in passing or at stops so it would have been nicer if more were going my way. In this particular section the path was tough and the going slow, much like the picture below and even worse in some parts- alot of scrambling.

Also along the East bank of Loch Lomond there are some wild goats, descendants of those left behind when the crofters were moved out in the highland clearances. I managed to find four of them here, looking suitably scruffy and not too friendly.



And on the tenth day, after a 26 mile walk that day and about 170 miles in all, I arrived back in Glasgow tired in body but refreshed in mind. Unfortunately the former took over the latter and I wasn't much of a conversationalist at the lovely tea which Jo's Granny cooked. They all came along to meet me at the end of the West Highland Way in Milngavie on the left here which was really nice. 


The more I reflect on the walk the more favourably I think of it. Perhaps it was a litlle like childbirth in that respect. Before any ladies scoff, I don't mean it was that painful, I got sore feet, a blister or two and a bit of a groin strain but generally it was a painless experience. The gradually increasing tiredness can be forgotten in the fresh air and beautiful surroundings. The fear of not completing it due to injury or accident was a good driver but perhaps dulled the enjoyment a little, next time I'd do it with a group of friends and take it as it comes. I'd also recommend a walk like this to anyone, and really think nearly everyone could do it and get alot out of it, especially the West Highland Way which is brilliant for so many reasons. Lastly, thank you very much to everybody who sponsored me, it was really pretty touching- I've raised over £700 and counting, hopefully this blog has given you a little more value for money.

3 comments:

  1. Well done! Thumbs up. Love the pictures and your words. Makes me want to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Paddy;

    Awesome. Sounds like you rose to the challenge. I love your posts. Especially the pictures and humour. Maybe we can do another trek like this sometime in the future.

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well Done Paddy and thank you for sharing your experience with us all, I've really enjoyed reading your blog. Fantastic achievement:)

    ReplyDelete