Tuesday 14 April 2009





I was seriously relieved to see the Caledonian Canal lock system at Fort Augusta, Loch Ness is so bloody long. A big tour bus of Japanese tourists were gasping in excitement as the locks began to open for a boat, then they caught sight of me. A bit scruffy and unwashed and with a friendly dog tied to my rucsack, they politely asked for some photographs. About fifteen minutes later I had posed with almost every member of the group and even managed a group photograph with Cash and I in the middle looking puzzled but having a great time. I'm still not sure what the novelty was but I was happy to please, even if the joke was on me. I stupidly forgot to get a photo with my camera, but the mental image is as good for me anyway.


After Fort Augusta it was  two days walk along Lochs Oich and Lochy to Fort William. The weather was good and the walking mostly flat. Here's Cash having a stand off with a cow on a narrow path. By the time I'd got the camera out the cow was chickening out.
















On the afternoon of day three I had a sunny and warm walk along Loch Oich, the picture below is from the North East end. 


That night I set up our best camp yet, right beside the canal for a much needed wash. Here's cash sleeping while I cook my dinner on the stove before a welcome early bed time.

No comments:

Post a Comment